By ISABELL STAMM
We all know Reading Week is a time to relax, kick back, and just spend some quality me time without the stress of school. However, it can be easy to fall into the routine of relaxing and forget about how to “School and Homework” again. To make sure you don’t get caught up in your vacation time when you get back, here are some foolproof ways to get back in the groove of things.
- Get your sleep routine back. If you’re used to going out every night, or staying in for those introverts, now is the time to re-establish when sleep is supposed to happen. Don’t let yourself sleep in, set alarms to wake you up so you can get started on that pile of homework. If that means setting 15 alarms that are 2 minutes apart, so be it. This isn’t about what your neighbours say, this is about you.
- Get out of bed and stay out of bed. We know how hard it is to not get back into your warm bed on a cold morning, but just think of all the things you can accomplish now. Once you’re up, change out of your PJ’s and head to the library or wherever your study place may be. Your bed will try to lure you back in otherwise, so the best way to resist is to stay far away.
- Eat some breakfast. Let’s face it, you’re not you when you’re hungry. And you sure can’t get anything done like that. So, get some well earned tater tots and start your days off right.
- Turn off Netflix. Now I know this may sound a little hasty but what has ever been accomplished while Suits is on? Nothing. It’s good to have some free time and catch up on your favorite shows, but that was for the break. We’re for real now. Netflix shouldn’t even be open while your homework is out, it’s an unneeded distraction that you’ve had plenty of time this Reading Week to indulge in.
- Spend a night organizing your homework on a board or with sticky notes. Once you realize all the things that are coming up, the pure stress will make you hop back on that homework train. Due dates are closer than they appear so know when they are and you’ll be thanking yourself for it later.
- Look at the future. Aren’t you enjoying that free time? Wouldn’t it be nice if that lasted? The best way to stay stress free and have some chill time with the crowd favorite TV shows, is to get ahead. Got an assignment due next week? Start it now. Whether you have an assignment or readings due each day or not, set goals of what you want to have done and when. After your organizing spree is complete (See 5) then you are ready to put some action into all that preparation. You’re ready to get back into it.